Snapshot London: Performing Arts Audiences Report
The essential facts about London audiences for the performing arts have recently been published in the Snapshot Audience Report.
An initiative from Audiences London Plus', Snapshot London: Performing Arts has gone from strength to strength since the participating organisations began sharing audience information from London box offices in 2005. It now involves 36 key London cultural organisations, pooling data about bookers for performing arts from over 10 million households.
Here are some of the essential facts:
- Nearly two thirds (64%) of bookers live in Greater London.
- One third of audiences live within 5 miles of the venue they visit.
- The Mosaic Group ‘Liberal Opinions' makes up over a third of audiences.
- 60% of bookers generate a third of the income buying 33% of tickets sold.
- The data shows a 40% decrease in 'on the day' bookings between 2006/7 and 2009/10.
- The majority of audiences tend to favour one venue and one artform.
Similar information about the visual arts in London and an update about performing arts audiences will be published later this year.
Audiences London Plus is joining with All About Audiences to become a national organisation. They were recently awarded a grant by Arts Council England to deliver an ambitious 3-year "Understanding Audiences" programme to enable funded organisations to get more insight about their audiences and put this into practice. The Snapshot London: Performing Arts initiative is typical of the kind of programme many arts organisations across England will be able to join. More information about the full programme and opportunities to be involved will be announced in September.
For further information please contact: Penny Mills, email , or call 0207 407 4625.